Sunday, November 14, 2021

Eighteen.


 My blog is an adult! This week, it's eighteen years old. I can't quite believe it's been that long, of course - but I'm strangely reassured by how old-school it's remained. It's a Blogspot, through and through. So many of my contemporaries from then seem to have vanished, or headed over to WordPress. So much of the blogosphere (copyright - Web 2.0) has splintered. 

But I really do still like having a blog, as a fallback to that original ethos - a modest site where I can unload, where I can just talk randomly, about myself, and my life. 
The photo above is important, in that regard, as it shows where I am now, and I'd like to think it's also emblematic of the fact that I'm walking, travelling, still on that journey. When I began blogging, I was on a dial-up modem, in my one-bed pied-a-terre in Shepherd's Bush. An Xfm DJ, still married. Eighteen later? Divorced, remarried, two children, house in the suburbs. Some things remain the same (skating, music, Joneses) some things have changed dramatically (cycling, sobriety). Overall though, it's just an absolute relief to be able to document those changes, in the same place. Change itself, needn't be chaotic - it can underpin the constancy of our lives. That's what this blog means to me: an underpinning. A hope that I can find order amongst the flowing currents, and describe the feel of the water as it carries me, to wherever it will. 

No comments: