Monday, October 10, 2005

"He doesn't like strangers..."

So, a birthday bash on Saturday night, attended by a select coterie of friends. There's the crucial word: select. Someone wanted to came along ,bringing a handful of their friends, who'd just arrived from Europe. They were told, "Better not, he doesn't like strangers".
It sounds so cold, so clinical, so final.
But it's the truth.
I've been to too many parties (mostly with the band) where most of the people in attendance couldn't give a toss about you: they're there to be seen, to drink the free bar, to spot celebs, whatever. After years of that, I'm tired. Now, I'd prefer to hang out with my mates, with people I know and love, drink some beer, have some fine food, talk some rubbish.....
Don't get me wrong: contact with strangers is an important thing; every once in a while, you'll meet someone and they'll cross the line from stranger to companion, maybe end up as a great friend. But the time to do all of that isn't at a party..

2 comments:

Iain Baker said...

Rah! yes, you're right, it's prolly age....
:)

Anonymous said...

HAPPY Birthday Iain, Party with a select group of friends or even better on your own! Nick and I wrote a spoof Members song called "Solitary Suburban Christmas" We will have a solitary Suburban Christmas, away from all our friends we've moved out of our bedsit cause we couldn't pay the rent."

JC