Friday, October 26, 2007

X to the power of......You've got to be kidding

Well, I've got a huge smile on my face today. It would seem like Xfm's bold programming move "XU" where YOU the listener were in charge of the content (but in reality, they just wanted to save money and fire lots of DJ's ) has been a complete disaster. Have a look at the figures, they've gone from a 2% share to just 1.2%, they've shed 10% of their audience, and their hours total has plummeted. I suppose I shouldn't gloat; but you know what? I'm going to. This is nothing more than Karma coming round to bite them on the arse, and I wish nothing more for the morons who "run" the station now than for them to lose their jobs and see them dumped unceremoniously on the scrapheap.
I still feel so sad about Xfm, not that I'm no longer involved with it- but that a great station has been so callously ruined by people who care more about profit than they do about music.

4 comments:

Tim said...

I still don't know how they thought this would be a good idea. I listened for about 20 minutes on the first two days, then retuned to 6Music. I don't want to hear robot voices introducing the same songs over and over again. I want to hear people who are passionate about music.

It's a shame the running of the station isn't in the hands of the listeners, rather than just the playlist.

Can we stage an intervention?

JAG said...

I've permanently gone to 6music. They've now got Keaveny, Adam and Joe, Steve Merchant. Only thing worth listening to on XFM now is John Kennedy.

Noticed that Camfield is off, and James Hyman disapeared a few weeks ago.

Really is very sad.

JAG said...

Oh, and I saw a comment from the marketing director saying how they're looking for a "broader, more mainstream demographic that may not go to gigs all of the time."

Great that.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Jules. 6music all the way now days.....

What with Cammo going and Hymans disappearence it really does look like the end of XFM as we knew (and loved) it....